Thursday, December 17, 2009

December Seventeenth

All Work and No Play Makes…….

I have a hard time enjoying free time. First off, I never seem to get any. I can always find something to do. Adding to my frustration is the fact that I am not very organized, and I do not delegate well. Therefore, I am often a bit jealous of my kids who think nothing of gleefully playing when the house is a mess. In fact, I sometimes think that they know a ‘secret’- one that I have forgotten over the years: playing often is great! For me, it relieves stress, helps me be more focused when I need to work, and makes me more pleasant to be around. But I usually don’t remember this. I just get frustrated when others don’t pitch in and help, or when I get too busy spinning all those plates that I feel like a circus performer.

Colossians 1:10-12 says: And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that your may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.

This and the previous verses are great to pray for our families and our churches. I want my children to live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way. And I especially want this for my own life. This means I have to give up the perfectionist tendencies and just play sometimes. I need fun in my life to relax, de-stress and it helps me enjoy my work more.

In fact, my darling daughter wanted to play a game tonight, but I was too busy. There was just too much to be done. When it was time for her to go to bed, I felt so sad, because I did not do what was important for fear that I would not complete the urgent. I chose the wrong thing again. But I will not do that tomorrow! First thing we are going to play that game!

So today, play a game with your family. Pick a family favorite, or learn a new one. Do something fun, even if the house is a mess, the baby is fussy or dinner is just takeout. Do something fun and relax. The work will be there tomorrow. You will be glad you did! And if you can afford it, get some new games for the kids for Christmas. My plan is to get 3 things for each child this year: one to read, one to wear and one to play together. So they will each get a new game for us to play together. I can't wait!

Have you seen our website yet? www.12daysbook.com will get you there. You can purchase our book, The 12 Days of Christmas as well as find recipes, tips and ideas to make your Christmas celebration the best it has ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment